Canada was not yet a nation when Thomas Christie arrived from Scotland and began worship services with local people.
By 1832 the congregation of West Flamboro had been formed, meeting regularly near the present day location of our church. Christie led this congregation for 38 years and was also instrumental in the establishment of Kirkwall and Central Presbyterian churches.
This wooden church building was constructed just south of where the existing stone church now stands.
These lands are now a cemetery and Rev. Christie’s grave is located very close to where the original pulpit was in the wooden church.
At a congregational meeting on April 26, 1865, a building committee was appointed and a subscription list was opened and amounts varying from one dollar up to five hundred dollars were recorded. Tender prices were recorded as follows:
Cost of stone laid down $375
Cost of lumber $450
Contract for mason work $1200
Contract for carpentry work $1325
Cost of shingles $60
Cost of lath $25
The stone sanctuary was constructed during 1866 and the church building was officially opened on February 17, 1867 with Rev. Christie conducting the service.
The 100th anniversary was celebrated in 1932 during the pastorate of Rev. Charles A. Mullin.
In recent decades, a church hall and kitchen were added to the back of the church.
"Flamboro" is the original spelling for this community, which the church is named after. When the community was officially recognized as a town the spelling changed to "Flamborough." The church name, however, remained the same.